The American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts (ACEC/MA) is the business association of the Massachusetts and Rhode Island engineering industry, representing over 110 independent engineering companies engaged in the development of transportation, environmental, industrial, and other infrastructure. Founded in 1960 and headquartered in Boston, MA, ACEC/MA is a member organization of the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) based in Washington, DC. ACEC is a national federation of 51 state and regional organizations.
With the support of our member firms, ACEC/MA works to protect and promote your business. ACEC/MA's work with state leaders, legislators and with state agencies has led to the following recent victories.
- Met with representatives of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office to discuss member concerns about patent trolls targeting smaller design firms.
- Held our Annual State Markets Conference on April 11, 2013, featuring key leaders from Massachusetts building, water and transportation sector agencies.
- Ongoing participation in bi-monthly meetings of the Construction Law Working Group, at DCAM’s invitation, which is a collaboration of design, construction and owner organizations.
- Represented on the MA School Building Authority Advisory Board (Dom D’Eramo), the MSBA Designer Selection Panel (Leo Peters), the MassDOT Advisory Committee and the MassDOT/FHWA Every Day Counts State Transportation Innovation Council (Abbie Goodman).
- Wrote Recommended Best Practice of Design Review for MassDOT.
Legislative and Regulatory
- Ongoing advocacy in support of transportation and water infrastructure
- Reviewed and submitted written comments to DEP Commissioner Kimmell’s Regulatory Reform Plan on water and wastewater.
- Organized and co-hosted the annual May Engineers and Land Surveyors Day at the State House, with welcoming remarks from State Representative Paul Brodeur (D-Melrose) and with over 60 participants from ACEC/MA, BSCES and MALSCE.
- Advocated for passage of a larger transportation infrastructure funding package for Massachusetts.
- Submitted comments on the proposed regulations for the new Dam and Seawall Loan and Grant programs, created as a result of our successful advocacy for passage of the Dam Safety, Repair and Removal bill.
- Hosted the Water Infrastructure Alliance meetings at The Engineering Center to work for passage of legislation to close water infrastructure funding gap.
- Testified in support of S.993, an act to create and maintain jobs in the Commonwealth.
- Advocated for S. 795, a Good Samaritan bill to protect engineering companies from liability for volunteering technical help during emergency situations.
- Continue to evaluate Massachusetts senate and house bills which may affect our industry.
- Communicating via Twitter on @ACECMA. ACEC/MA has over 1000 Twitter followers.
- Completed our 4th Odyssey leadership education program, a 10 month program aimed at mid-managers in our firms, starting in October, 2012.
- Completed our 14th Emerging Leaders education program, a program aimed at fostering emerging leaders for leadership success.
- Started our 2nd Genesis education program, a program aimed at engineers with 3 to 5 years of experience.
- Held Everest Senior Leadership Roundtable on UMass Club on April 4, 2013.
- Continue participation in a joint task force with BSCES and MALSCE representatives to review and provide input on potential continuing education requirements in Massachusetts.
- Continue to hold partnering meetings with key agency leaders at MassDOT, MBTA, Massport, DCAM and DCR to discuss issues of concern to our members.
- Developing our QBS website, procurementhelp.org.