The Private Sector Committee (PSC) is a relatively new committee of ACEC/MA begun in early 2006 to serve member firms that have a private sector client base and business practices. The PSC strives to bring to ACEC/MA member firms enhanced programming on timely and informative topics, understanding and awareness of legislative issues, and information from other outside professional organizations related to private sector topics and business sector activities relevant to engineering practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The PSC is currently interested in or pursuing the following initiatives:
• Provide a forum where business issues and information can be discussed and exchanged about:
o Existing regulations, laws and pending legislation pertaining to private sector business,
o Market forces and trends,
o Services procurement,
o Networking opportunities among member firms.
• Develop and conduct, or recommend programs that pertain to business issues of concern to member organizations.
• Create liaisons with other Massachusetts organizations that provide programs and business information pertaining to the private sector.
During 2010-2011, the PSC is focusing efforts on selected issues as summarized below:
• The PSC is exploring to what extent the ARRA (Economic Stimulus) has been helping member organizations and their private sector clients to access funding for certain public infrastructure improvements on or near private development projects. The PSC has contacted state officials seeking informal discussions and is conducting a survey of member firms.
• Members of the PSC have collaborated on issues of mutual relevance with the ACEC/MA Government Affairs Committee and Client Sector Committees (Environmental, Building Engineering, Transportation) including DEP Stormwater Regulations, the Plumbing and/or Energy Code and Green House Gas regulations.
• The PSC has sponsored several panel discussions on sustainable business practices and green initiatives within the profession, and is continuing to focus on this area for ACEC/MA. In 2009, two roundtables on sustainability were held at The Engineering Center for member firms to address changing client expectations and business adaptations required to evolve sustainable practices.
Mark S. Bartlett, PE
Norfolk Ram Group, LLC
One Roberts Road
Plymouth, MA 02360-5067
mbartlett @ norfolkram.com
The Private Sector Committee typically monthly on the first Tuesday of the month at The Engineering Center. In certain cases, as required by mutual consent of the participating committee members during the year and during the months of July and August, the committee meets on an as-needed basis. Committee meetings are listed on the ACEC/MA calendar.